Yes, this short post will show you how you can open and tweek your Pentax 645z DNG files in Capture One (involving some tampering with the EXIF data). But don’t get your hopes up too much. At least with me, Capture One often crashed with with the DNGs from the 645z. And the color looks just not quite right out of the box. But it’s a start.
- This only works with DNG files, so don’t shoot PEF!
- Download and install exiftools, a free open-source perl tool to do the EXIF tampering: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
- Make sure your DNGs (and optionally JPGs) are all in a folder with no other photos or files in them
- Open your terminal and navigate to that folder, e.g.
- Change the “camera model name” field from “Pentax 645z” to “IQ250” using the following command
- Open CaptureOne and move the tampered DNG files into a new session. The default settings will be way off, but like I said, it’s a start
Let me know in the comments, how this worked for you. Are there any CaptureOne functions not available at all or crashing the software with these tampered DNGs?
Windows users: exiftool is available for Windows as well, but the command might look slightly different. Check the documentation and don’t ask me ;-).